MEDA is an international economic development organization whose mission is to create business solutions to poverty. Founded in 1953 by a group of Mennonite business professionals, we partner with the poor to start or grow small and medium-sized businesses in developing regions around the
world. Our expertise includes a full range of economic development tools: financial services, improved technology, business training, better access to markets and equity investment. Our work most often focuses on women, youth and the rural poor. We believe that all people deserve the opportunity to earn a livelihood and that unleashing entrepreneurship is a powerful way to alleviate poverty
Job Title: Environmental/Climate Change Consultant (Agricultural Value Chains)
Organization: MEDA (Mennonite Economic Development Associates)
Location: Bauchi (or nearby), Nigeria
Level of Effort: 20 days
Scope of Work
The Local Consultant will support the inception mission, participate in relevant inception mission meetings, and report to MEDA’s Environment Specialist; and will work closely with the Project Manager and other staff on the inception mission to complete the following:
- Conduct desk research and interviews to gather information regarding Nigeria’s environmental and health/safety laws, regulations and standards pertaining to the agriculture sector
- Conduct research and interviews to gather information on environmentally-sustainable and climate smart technologies, practices, and services
- Work with MEDA’s Environment Specialist to develop the project’s Environmental Sustainability and Climate Resilience Strategy and Plan, as part of the overall Project Implementation Plan and in sync with its other components.
- Interview transcripts and meeting notes (well-structured and well-written)
- Report including
a. Applicable Environmental laws, regulations, standards and requirements for businesses (including small entrepreneurs) operating in Nigeria’s agriculture sector
b. Health and safety requirements pertaining to Nigeria’s agriculture sector
c. List of environmentally-sustainable and climate smart technologies, practices, and services (by these categories) available or achievable in Nigeria’s agriculture sector, particularly in Bauchi state
d. Recommendations for MEDA’s project to consider when developing its environmental and climate resilience strategy and plan
The Consultant must have strong capacity, knowledge of, and experience in environmental and climate change issues relating to the Nigerian agriculture sector including processing and other agri-businesses. The consultant should have the following minimum qualification criteria:
- At least Bachelor’s Degree in environmental engineering/science/management/studies or related discipline
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in the field of green technologies and practices industry, preferably in similar project contexts.
- Deep knowledge of the Nigerian agriculture sector and related environmental issues, ideally including rice and sesame
- Familiarity with supply chain and market systems concepts
- Previous experience in conducting desk and field research similar to the assignment
- Experience in rural socioeconomic development
- Experience in working with NGOs
- Strong analytical and report-writing skills
- Fluent in English and ideally local languages in Bauchi state
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their expression of interest and CV by April 24, 2017. Questions regarding the assignment and submissions can be made to the following email address: email@example.com.
Interested consultants are required to submit the following information:
- Consultant profile including academic background and professional experience
- Previous experience in conducting similar assignments including a sample written document
- Financial information, including daily rate/fees.
Application Deadline: April 30, 2017
Get job alerts in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get vacancies and employment updates to your email inbox.