Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating lasting change in the lives of children in over 20 countries around the world. Recognized for our commitment to accountability, innovation and collaboration, our work takes us into the heart of communities, where we help children and families help themselves.
We work with other organizations, governments, non-profits and a variety of local partners while maintaining our own independence without political agenda or religious orientation. Save the Children’s mission is to Inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Newborn Health Advisor
The overall aim of the position is to support Federal and State Ministries of Health and partner organizations to roll out the new National Integrated Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health (IMNCH) strategy, providing technical inputs with respect to newborn and child health and technical leadership on this work for Save the Children in Nigeria.
Key Areas of Accountability
Newborn Health Policy & Programming:
- To be responsible for the overall management of Save the Children technical assistance on newborn health in Nigeria including strategic follow up to the national newborn health situation analysis in the context of state-level IMNCH strategy implementation planning and launches and support to strengthen capacity for Kangaroo Mother Care at national level.
Primary Health Care & Child Health:
- To be responsible for the technical inputs for Save the Children assistance on primary health care development and child health in Nigeria with the context of the IMNCH and Primary Health Care Development Agency (PHCDA) Strategies.
- To provide health advisory support to the Child Protection Programme.
- To provide technical oversight and quality assurance related to the implementation of relevant programme initiatives including participation in two two-week semi-annual review meetings and planning processes.
- To review documents and take the lead in planning and report writing for the newborn and child aspects of PRRINN-MNCH work
- To develop and maintain an understanding of major stakeholder agendas and to represent Save the Children and its interests with key players in the health sector in Nigeria (government, development agencies and research institutes) at Federal and State levels.
- To represent Save the Children’s values and mission, as well as the Nigeria programme experience, at strategic national fora, and selected regional fora
Documentation and Reporting:
- To prepare and submit quarterly reports to Saving Newborn Lives (SNL) and Save the Children UK, and to contribute to PRRINN-MNCH annual report and other key newborn and child reports.
- To pro-actively lead national research and advocacy initiatives and support global efforts by drawing on the Nigeria experience while also drawing on lessons learned from other countries to support efforts in country.
- To contribute to Save the Children’s global and national priorities through cooperation with relevant advisers and managers from headquarters, the regional and national levels.
- To lead or contribute to the development of publications for peer-reviewed journals.
As agreed with the Programme Manager, support:
- To the development of Save the Children UK’s future health strategy (to be reviewed annually) and child survival strategy focus areas, including technical support for specific proposals to secure further funding
- To comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures.
- Other strategic duties as agreed by supervisors and senior advisers
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- Medical qualification (MD or M.B.B.S.) with Public Health experience or Paediatric Nurse with Public Health programming experience.
- A Post-Graduate qualification in Paediatric and/or Neonatology is an added advantage.
- Experience in providing technical support to partners and in particular government at senior levels.
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels. Presentation and training skills, along with tact and diplomacy are essential.
- Proven capacity to deliver results against objectives, reporting schedules and workplans.
- Excellent analytical and conceptual skills and the proven ability to translate these into concise high quality reports and lessons learnt documents,
- Confidence in using word processing and spreadsheet computer packages
- Fluency in written and spoken English and ability to make compelling technical presentations.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s values and mission.
- Intimate knowledge of the policy and programme context of Nigeria. Demonstrated capacity to develop a network of contacts with key players from amongst government, donors, international agencies and NGOs, to maintain these relationships over time and to support mobilization of significant funding from donors.
- Experience in health systems development and primary health care management.
- Proven capacity in strategic planning and long term positioning.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Get job alerts in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get vacancies and employment updates to your email inbox.