UN Women – In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic step in accelerating the Organization’s goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the following positions below:
Job Title: Resource Person (Capacity Building Workshop on Women, Peace & Security for TV/Radio Producers & Presenters)
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start: 17-Apr-2017)
Duration of Initial Contract:1 Month
Expected Duration of Assignment: 18 Working Days
- The United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) is implementing a European Union-funded Programme “Promoting Women’s Engagement in Peace and Security in Northern Nigeria”, in collaboration with UNICEF, and the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development at Federal and State levels in Nigeria.
- The Programme supports the Federal Government, three Northern States of Nigeria, and selected constituted Local Government Areas (LGAs) to strengthen women’s leadership, advance gender equality and improve protection for women and children in conflict settings.
The Programme is composed of three inter-locked components, each with their own specific objective:
- Strengthen women’s role in conflict prevention, peace-making and peace building;
- Mitigate the impact of conflict upon women and girls (including Gender-Based Violence); and
- Enhance a conducive environment for the implementation of United Nations Security Council Resolution (UNSCR) 1325 and monitoring of gender equality commitments in Nigeria.
- The Programme interventions are coordinated through a results-based strategy to raise the capacities of Nigerian institutions, women’s groups and gender equality advocates over a 3-year programme cycle (2014-2017).
- The activities related to each thematic area will pursue common overall objectives while remaining flexible to fit the specificities of each of the three target states i.e. Adamawa, Plateau and Gombe. Borno, Bauchi, Yobe States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, will benefit, to some extent, by the participation and engagement of stakeholders from these states in major activities of the event.
- The Programme also incorporates a strong communication and knowledge management element in the hope that it will contribute to broader societal change towards gender equality.
- To strengthen the media’s capacity in the reportage of gender related issues, especially issues on women, peace and security, UN Women is organizing a 2-day training event for TV /Radio producers and presenters of women and children programmes, with focus on Gender, Peace and Security issues, among other related areas.
- The training would be focused on producing and presenting quality gender, peace and security programmes, especially on the benefits of engaging women in peace and security and other aspects of UNSCR 1325, including Gender-Based Violence (GBV) and Violence Against Children.
- Participants will be drawn from Abuja, Adamawa, Plateau, Gombe, Borno and Yobe states.
- The 2-day workshop will be conducted each in Adamawa, Plateau and Gombe States, with a minimum of 30 participants per workshop.
- UN Women, requires two professional media resource persons to facilitate the training workshops. UN Women and the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development will also provide resource persons to facilitate sessions on the Northern Nigeria Women, Peace and Security Programme, understanding the concept of ‘Gender’, and the UNSCR 1325 and the Nigeria National Action Plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
- UN Women requires the services of two resource persons who are well respected and experienced in training media practitioners, especially producers and presenters of TV and Radio Programmes on Gender, Peace and other related issues.
Specific Tasks and Responsibility
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager, Women, Peace and Security, UN Women Prepare and present training modules on the following topics:
- Peace and gender sensitive reporting, presentation and discuss on air.
- Strategic advocacy for media practitioners.
- The role of tv/radio producers and presenters in promoting women’s engagement in peace and security.
- Understanding the relevance and benefits of Gender Bills, including the Gender and Equal Opportunities Bill: The role of the media in promoting the bill.
- UN Women will however facilitate training sessions in the following areas:
- Brief overview of the Programme ‘Promoting Women’s Engagement in Peace and Security in Northern Nigeria’;
- Brief on the ‘Nigeria Association of Peace and Gender Practitioners in Media’
- Understanding the concept ‘Gender’.
- The Federal Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development, on the other hand, will facilitate a session on Understanding the UNSCR 1325 and the National Action Plan.
- Work Plan and Training Agenda
- Training Modules/Power Point Presentation
- Comprehensive Report of the trainings
- Work Plans (per state) for the trainees in line with the WPS project.
The assignment will be conducted through:
- Desk review of relevant reference.
- An engaging presentation and group work to an audience of about 30 participants per workshop.
- Pre-and Post-test on each of the topics to be covered to measure the degree of knowledge acquired by participants.
- Induction of trainees as members of the ‘Nigeria Association of Peace and Gender Practitioners in Media’
- Any other methodology as deemed appropriate by the consultants.
The selected candidates should have:
- Integrity: demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions as well as values and ethical standards, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Ethics & values: Promoting Ethics and Integrity / Creating Organizational Precedents
- Commitment: Demonstrates commitment to UN Women’s mission and vision
Required Skills and Experience
- A Master’s Degree, degree in Journalism, Gender Studies, Communication or any other relevant fields.
- At least 6 years of relevant professional field experience.
- Knowledge of gender related issues in Nigeria as well as experience in related work.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Written and oral proficiency in English is required.
Languages Required :
Application Closing Date
11th April, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Get job alerts in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get vacancies and employment updates to your email inbox.