RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 4000 provides research and technical expertise to governments and businesses in more than 40 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory and chemistry services.
RTI International is implementing a USAID funded Leadership, Advocacy, Empowerment, and Development (LEAD) project in Nigeria, a project aimed at improving governance and service delivery at the local government level. This project ends in September 2017. The position is open to residents of Nigeria only.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Stigma and Discrimination-Reduction Program Advisor
RTI International is seeking candidates for a Senior Stigma and Discrimination-Reduction advisor for an anticipated USAID/PEPFAR-funded Strategic HIV and AIDS Response Program (SHARP) Task Order projects in Nigeria. The purpose of the program will be to improve the quality and effectiveness of high-impact, evidence-based HIV interventions to meet state/Local Government Area (LGA)-specific goals and objectives. The specific objectives include the following:
- Targeted and efficient HIV case identification and linkage to care and treatment;
- Enrollment of patients on HIV therapy with adequate adherence and minimal loss to follow-up;
- Successfully suppress HIV viral load;
- Offer specialized services that attract key populations (e.g. men who have sex with men, sex workers and people who inject drugs); and
- Increase Government of Nigeria (GON) capacity to expand, oversee and finance HIV and TB services.
- The SHARP activity is designed to focus its support for service delivery across the following intervention areas: HIV testing services, HIV diagnosis and treatment, HIV care and support, prevention of mother-to-child transition of HIV, TB/HIV service integration, RH/HIV integration, orphans and vulnerable children, laboratory services, and health systems strengthening.
- The Senior Stigma and Discrimination-reduction Advisor will be providing technical leadership and overall support to the project for stigma and discrimination (S&D)-reduction in support of the program’s objectives 1-4 listed above.
- This will involve working closely with the project’s leadership team, project partners, USAID/Nigeria, implementing partners and country stakeholders at all levels to work to reduce S&D to improve uptake and retention across the HIV cascade.
- S/he will provide capacity building for S&D-reduction, innovation in programming to respond to S&D as a barrier to service uptake and retention, and ensure quality of all S&D-reduction programing, whether direct or integrated within other activities.
- The position will be based in Abuja, Nigeria, and take on the following full-time (100%) duties to support the project’s goals.
- In close consultation with the Project Director, project leadership and program partners, and RTI DC-based Senior Technical advisor for stigma and discrimination, lead the development and implementation of a project strategy to address S&D through direct programming to address S&D, as well as integration of S&D-reduction into other activities.
- Provide overall leadership and technical support to all project implementing partners (IPs) conducting S&D-reduction programming. This will require close collaboration with other IPs, the US Government and all levels of GON.
- Lead and deliver capacity-building activities for S&D-reduction with project partners, other IPs and GON partners at all levels.
- Oversee documentation of all S&D-reduction programming throughout the project and collation of lessons learned from those efforts.
- Work closely with other staff to distill that information into different communication formats for dissemination to different audiences such as policy makers, program managers, donors, ministry representatives, and NGO staff.
- Provide information and support in the development of the work plan, quarterly reports and annual reports.
- Travel as needed to project sites for technical assistance, training, and supervision.
- May supervise staff and/or partners.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor or master’s degree in social work, social sciences, public health, education, or related field, or comparable combination of education and experience with demonstrated expertise in S&D-reduction programming or community outreach and mobilization around sensitive topics.
- Six or more years of experience in S&D-reduction programming or a closely related field.
- At least five years’ experience working with HIV programs and affected communities in Nigeria.
- Solid understanding of stigma and discrimination and how it relates to the delivery of comprehensive HIV services and programs, including the behavioral, socioeconomic, institutional, policy and human rights issues in HIV programming for general and key populations.
- Demonstrated expertise in designing and implementing S&D-reduction or related programs addressing similar social barriers to HIV services.
- Demonstrated skills as a participatory trainer and experience as a trainer of trainers is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of stakeholders, internal and external partners.
- Strong management and organizational skills. Ability to handle a heavy workload with competing priorities.
- Proficiency in both Microsoft Office required.
- Good interpersonal skills as well as strong oral and written communication skills in English are required. Additional fluency in relevant local languages would be desirable.
- Experience in working with and understanding of general and key populations.
Compensation for this position is based upon RTI’s Nigeria national benefits plan and salary scale.
Application Closing Date
20th April, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s to: GHrecruitment@rti.org with the country and job title in the subject line.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- This position is contingent upon award and funding.
- RTI International is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition.
- Please visit our website at www.rti.org/globalhealth for more information on our work in global health.
Get job alerts in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get vacancies and employment updates to your email inbox.