Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Distribution Assistant
Location: Borno, Nigeria
- The Distribution Assistant supports the BSFP Distribution Officer and works with urban and rural communities at the grass root level, stakeholders and partners, responsible for fulfilling his/her assigned role within the distribution team to conduct sensitization, mobilization, registration and delivering technical support and oversight to targeted communities/groups to ensure that food/non-food items are timely distributed to the deserving beneficiaries.
- Support the distribution team in setting up and executing distributions of commodities to large numbers of beneficiaries in a safe and expedient manner.
- Assisting with community sensitization/training on project activities on food utilization
- Register program beneficiaries in the targeted areas according to the designed targeting criteria
- Conduct verification of beneficiaries for purposes of minimizing inclusion/exclusion errors
- Under the guidance of the Distribution Officer, setting up a proper distribution layout ensuring good of movement through the process, maintain proper crowd control restrictions and limit situations where too many people are inside the distribution exclusion zone at any one time
- Assist the Distribution Officer in monitoring delivery of commodities to distribution sites and ensure that the correct quantity of commodities arrive and are of good standards
- Help direct beneficiaries from station to station within the distribution process as dictated by the Distribution Officer.
- Record in in official registration documents and on beneficiary cards distributed amounts of commodities and ensure that such records are properly cared for through the distribution process.
- Perform assigned tasks related to screening of children Under 5 (U5) for malnutrition using the simplified MUAC screening tape (with instruction from nutrition team)
- Ensure that a beneficiary sharing groups receive the correct amount of commodity.
- Monitor group sharing process of commodities and ensure that equal shares are received by beneficiaries.
- Stay observant and report to Distribution Officer any site security concerns and keep self and other team members out of harm’s way
- Any other assignments that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Minimum education of TBD by HR team based on Nigeria Context
- Prior experience in Humanitarian or International Development programming with at least 1 year of field experience working with beneficiaries, preferably on distribution projects
- Understanding of distribution best-practices
- Ability to collect and record data documenting distribution details especially as relates to commodity quantities and numbers of beneficiaries
- Good communication skills with the rural community members, local and traditional leaders, good planning, reporting functions.
- Understanding of basic anti-fraud practices
- Experience working in a conflict setting
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Previous experience in WFP, USDA or USAID/FFP programmes
- Experience in community mobilization and group organizational skills
- Understanding of basic nutrition concepts, screening stages of malnutrition
- Competence in Microsoft Office.
Application Closing Date
28th April, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Get job alerts in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get vacancies and employment updates to your email inbox.